SPOT NO 1: X-RAY
You will be given an X-Ray. The question generally asked is
comment on the given spot ? or comment upon the age?
It is expected from you that you will have to write in the following lines:
• Part of Body X-Rayed?
• Comment upon the age of the person?
• Write the medicolegal significance of that age?
• Any other Specific finding like twin pregnancy or overlaying of
• Comment upon that particular finding with its medicolegal
Type of X-Ray Given:
• X-Ray Wrist joint for age of the person. Hint number of carpel
bones equals the age in early age group. [Capitate=3M,
Hamate=4M, Triquetral=3Yr, Lunate= 4Yr, Scaphoid & traphezoid-
5Yr, Trapezium=6Yr, Pisiform= 12Yr]
• X-Ray of Abdomen for twin pregnancy hint two spinal cord and
skull visible in abdomen
• X-Ray of Abdomen for overlaying of skull bone remember buddha
sign denotes death of the fetus.
• X-Ray of histosalpingogram for patent fallopian tube remember
significance of patency of fallopian tube in divorce/ sterility.
• X-Ray of Knee joint for comment on the age of person. Hint Lower
end of femur and upper of tibia and fibula fuses with shaft at 18-
• X-Ray of Ankle joint for comment on the age of person. Hint
Lower end of tibia and fibula fuses with shaft at 16-18 year s
• Apart from that other X-Ray can also be given. It is your approach
which is important.
SPOT NO. 2 BONE
You have to identify the bone and also comment on the sex of the bone and any other relevant
thing regarding that bone. Please do also write about the side of the
bone. Writing about ossification is a plus point.
Comment on the sex of the bone and give five point to justify your
Identify the given bone and write few points as how this bone can be
used to estimate the age of the individual?
The bones generally given are:
• Sacrum for sex determination
• Skull Bone for sex determination
• Mandible for sex and age determination
• Femur [side determination, sex determination, medicolegal
• Tibia [side determination, sex determination,
medicolegal significance etc]
• Radius [side determination, sex determination, medicolegal
• Ulna [side determination, sex determination, medicolegal
• Fibula [side determination, sex determination, medicolegal
SPOT NO. 3: POISONOUS ANIMAL
In this spot you will be given a poisonous animal. You will have to
identify the animal and perform the question written with it.
The Poisonous Animal given are:
• King Cobra
• Viper Snake
Identify the spot and write the treatment?
SPOT NO. 4: POISON/DRY SPECIMEN
In this a poison is given you have to identify the poison
and write all the details about that poison. You can also be given dry
specimen in this so be prepared. Please make it a habit to write the
medicolegal significance of all the specimen given.
Identify the poison and write down the Fatal Dose Fatal Period,
Treatment and Medicolegal significance of that poison?
Type of Vegetable poison Given are:
• Abrus Precatorius
• Castor Seeds[Ricinus
• Croton seeds[ Croton
• Chilli seeds [Capsicum
• Datura Seeds
• Canabis Indica
• Colocynt h [Bitter Apple,
Indrayan, Makal, Mekka,
• Semicarpus Anacardium
• Reetha [Sapindus
• Strychinine seeds
• Any other dry specimen
• Any metallic poison
Identify the spot and write the Signs and Symptoms?
SPOT NO. 5: FETUS
Comment on the age of the give fetus and write five points in support
of your answer
RULE OF HAASE: During the first five months of pregnancy the square root of
the length gives the approx. age of the fetus in months. During last five months the
length in centimeters is divided by five gives the age in months.
How to proceed for age deter mination of fetus in spotting?
Approx. Length of Fetus
Apply Haase Rule
Comment upon the following:
• Length of the fetus to calculate the approximate age
• Scalp Hair present or not and length
• Eyes state of maturity
• Eyelashes/Eyelids present or not.
• Nails present or not/soft or thick/reached tip of finger or not.
• Sex can be recognized or not.
• Signs of Viability absent/present
Write down the Medico-Legal Significance (Very important for all spots)
1. Still-born child
2. Criminal Abortion
4. Fabricated Abor tion
SPOT NO. 6: WEAPON
In these spots generally two weapons are given one from firearm and
another from other weapon. It is not necessary that both are from the
weapons. One of these specimen cane be replaced from other
Types of spots given in these two are:
• RAMPURI KNIFE
• EMPTY CARTRIDGE
• SHOTGUN CARTRIDGE
• KITCHEN KNIFE
Identify the weapon and enumerate types of injuries caused by it?
Identify the weapon and draw a well labeled diagram?
Identify the weapon and wr ite the medicolegal aspect of the injuries